“Everything you want is on the other side of fear”
Wow! I am so excited and ecstatic to share that my travel blog has recently been nominated for a ‘Liebster Award’.
This award is a wonderful acknowledgement by my peers for all of the ‘labour of love’, time, passion, effort, creativity, commitment and hard work that goes on behind the scenes – in firstly developing and then maintaining a blog website.
It almost feels like having a second full-time job!!
In the beginning, the thought of actually starting a blog was just that – a thought (for fear of judgement, rejection and not even knowing how to run a website). Then with the encouragement of my awesome husband, the seed was planted, ‘a blog’ was born and the rest is history as they say.
It just seemed so natural to merge together my love of writing and travelling. I still consider my blog to be a “work in progress” but it is a blog that I am proud to share.
At the moment, I’m not out to make money from my blogging. ‘Del Abroad’ has been both life-changing and transformative. It has become a creative form of self-expression, a hobby and a means of sharing my travel experiences, photos and stories with family and friends (or with anyone else who may be interested in my ramblings – lol).
I’ll be honest – this blogging gig has had its challenges and rewards (more so the rewards). It’s been an extremely steep learning curve but one that I have embraced.
The whole ‘blogging’ journey is in itself a lesson to learn. A lesson that I hope will continually motivate me to aspire, inspire and grow.
Ok, fast forward to now and a massive “Shout out” to ‘four on a world tip’ for the nomination. Thank you, thank you and thank you! If you get time, check out their blog with family adventures from around the world with a Mom, a Dad and two boys.
Soon it’ll be time to share the blogging love with others and ‘pay it forward’. However, before I name the 5 nominees, there are just a few rules and snippets of information that I need to highlight first:
What is the Liebster Award?
The Liebster Award 2017 is an award that exists only on the internet, and is given to bloggers by other bloggers. Liebster in German means sweetest, kindest, nicest, dearest, beloved, lovely, kind, pleasant, valued, cute, endearing, and welcome.
So, ‘four on a world trip’ set a series of travel questions for me:
#1. How many countries have you travelled to so far?
12 countries to date.
#2. Why are you blogging?
I blog as a creative means to journal about my travels abroad and to share with family and friends.
#3. Name your top 3 items that you consider most useful when traveling?
My Pashmina for appearance, warmth and comfort, my ear plugs for noise control and hand wash so that my hands always smell fresh and feel nice and clean.
#4. What was your best trip?
To the beautiful Greek Islands of Mykonos and Santorini in October 2016.
#5. What was your worst trip? Good question! I don’t want to ‘put the mockers on’ myself but I have not had a worst trip as yet.
#6. What is your advice for people new to traveling?
Insurance – you can’t leave home without it. Also, always try to go with a positive attitude and with no expectations when you travel abroad. Your holiday is what you make of it.
#7. What do you find most annoying when traveling?
People who queue jump – that is so annoying and not to mention just plain rude!
#8. What is your dearest memory?
My honeymoon to the island paradise of the Maldives (Giraavu Island, North Atoll).
#9. Do you prefer to travel solo or with a friend/partner and why?
Definitely with my husband. We are just in sync with each other and work well together. It’s a team effort, especially when we travel.
#10. How are you choosing your holiday destinations?
We are taken by inspiration from different email alerts that we receive in our inbox, looking at brochures from travel agents’ or from great travel articles published in the local newspaper.
#11. What’s you’re preferred means of transport?
When we travel abroad, we enjoy catching public transport in the country we are visiting. In Japan we catch trains or the Shinkansen or the driverless metro systems, such as the MRT in Singapore and the Dubai Metro in Dubai UAE.
Some really good questions there, I enjoyed answering them.
11 Quirky Facts about Del Abroad
- I identify as a NZ Maori (indigenous person of New Zealand) and a “Kiwi” (New Zealander).
- My Zodiac sign is Pisces (I am a typical Piscean too).
- Bumblebee is my favourite autobot in the ‘Transformer’ movies.
- Audrey Hepburn was a person that I greatly admired (as an intelligent, bilingual, chic, elegant, beautiful, sophisticated woman and humanitarian).
- Jandals (or flip flops) are my most favourite kind of casual footwear – I wander everywhere in them
- I enjoy eating Seafood – especially prawns, oysters, abalone and sea urchins.
- I once played a small part in a “Crunchie” chocolate bar TV commercial when I was 8 years old (funnily my friends and I got edited out).
- I love to read books and journal (as a good and creative means of therapy for the mind and soul)
- I used to play the Tamborine instrument.
- The number 7 is my favourite number (with 2017 starting out as a great year for me).
- I absolutely love roses and Singapore orchids, they are my favourite flowers and hold a special significance for me (including my beautiful bridal bouquet).
Finally, please give a round of ‘A P P L A U S E’ for the following ‘Liebster Award’ nominees:
- ‘Dolce and Masala’ (on first impression this blog combines two of my favourites of food and travelling and she is definitely living ‘La Dolce Vita’ (“the Sweet life”).
- ‘Ravenous Legs’ (on first impression I thought the blog name was really quirky and unique, it catches the eye. I loved the blog post on ‘SCUBA Diving in Havelock Island’ and about ‘taking the plunge’ in life).
- ‘Lucky-Vagabond’ (on first impression I loved reading the opening quote, it has a simple, pleasant and clean layout with nice photos and very detailed blog posts).
- ‘Travel Diary Parnashree’ (on first impression I was impressed with the cultural aspect of the website, discovering India (which is on my bucket list). I absolutely loved the blog post entitled ‘The Wandering Gypsies’ with the enviable dream job of being a Photo Editor / Travel film maker).
- ‘Om to the World’ (on first impression I totally loved the witty blog name, the website is visually very appealing with some great photos).
What to do if nominated for a Liebster Award?
If you have been nominated for The Liebster Award AND YOU CHOOSE TO ACCEPT IT, write a blog post about the Liebster award in which you should do the following:
- Thank the blogger who nominated you, and post a link to their blog on your blog.
- Display the ‘Liebster Award’ on your blog.
- Answer the 11 Questions put to you by the blogger who nominated you.
- Provide 11 random facts about yourself.
- Nominate 5 – 11 blogs that you feel deserve the award.
- List the rules and instructions on accepting the award in your post.
- Come up with a list of 11 Questions for the nominees.
- Notify the nominees (and provide them with a link to your post).
Questions to the nominees:
- Name the first international country that you travelled to abroad?
- In just ‘one’ word describe what travel means to you?
- Name one essential ‘item’ that you always pack for a holiday and can’t leave home without?
- What is the most exotic destination that you have travelled to abroad?
- How many pages do you have stamped in your passport?
- What is your blog niche (if you have one)?
- Describe the best photo you have ever taken with the most ‘likes’ on either Facebook or Instagram?
- Who would you personally recommend as the best ‘Airline’ to fly with?
- Name the Hotel that gave you the best customer service experience and why?
- Which destination would you travel back to again and again – why?
- What would be your No. 1 blogging goal be in 2017?
Thanks for sharing this awesome blogging journey with me. If you have a moment, please also take the time to share the love and support other new bloggers – your time and engagement are always appreciated.